DECIDING ON AN EXOTIC DESTINATION – FAIL!!

maldives-666122_1280
maldives-666122_1280

Maldives

Have you ever faced the struggle of having to choose among things you equally like? Simple or more complex things, like which pair of shoes do you rock for a night out or which venue do you book for your wedding reception? Which ice cream flavor should you eat or which hotel should you stay in on your honeymoon? Or even deciding on which college to attend or what to invest your trustfund in.

havana-1995035_1280

Cuba

If yes, then I feel you!!! Oh YES, I can totally relate.

animals-2178578_1280

Kenya

If you’ve read my New Year’s resolution, you’ll see that in my list I’ve written, among others: “Visit an exotic destination”. I wish I was more specific, it’d save me the trouble now… I have to choose WHERE TO.

bora-bora-680115_1280

Tahiti

That is probably one of the most difficult decisions ever and don’t you dare laugh at me! The world is full of amazing and beautiful places and due to my partner’s profession we can rarely find time to squeeze in a 4 day vacation together. And I wouldn’t want to go on my first exotic trip without him.

tortillas-520808_1280

Mexican food

So what I do know is that we can go this November. And the first thing I did was to check which exotic places have nice weather at that time. And the list is huge…

phra-nang-2262912_1280

Thailand

1. Tahiti – expensive, over water bungalows (yes please), amazing beaches
  2. Maldives – same as above with the difference that they are slowly sinking!
  3. Mauritius – again.. resorts, beaches, serenity, peace of mind
  4. Sri Lanka – tea, elephant sanctuary, dolphins and leopards
  5. Mexico – tequila, mexican food, siesta, hakuna matata
  6. Seychelles – expensive, beaches to die for
  7. Kenya – safari, giraffes, elephant sanctuary <3
  8. Thailand – cheap, thai food, monkeys, endless massages and nice beaches
  9. Cuba – cigars, rum, vintage cars, the Caribbean
  10. Bali – scuba diving, amazing resorts, beaches and temples
seychelles-2000278_1280

Seychelles

See my point? How can I choose?

africa-2141675_1280

Sri Lanka

Ok, let’s say the price factor. But for a once in a lifetime trip, that isn’t as important, is it? I mean the hotel&ticket package deals from the agencies are quite similar in price so then the only thing left to pay for are the activities! 100euro up or down for a trip like that is just not a strong argument.

mauritius-1561908_1280

Mauritius

And don’t ask me: “what would you like to see the most?” because that is exactly my problem. I want to see everything. I want to visit all the destinations mentioned above and much more. But a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step… so I’ll ask you: What should my next step be?

palm-322643_1280

Bali

Those of you who have visited any of the destinations above, please leave a comment, send me an email, a message, a letter, even a homing pigeon!! Your help will be much appreciated :)

cancun-2269936_1280

Mexico

38 Comments

• marine says:

there’s no way I can help you decide, they’re all so amazing ! I wanna go everywhere !

• Thailand is certainly an adventure and prices for most things from hotels, to public transport, to food are very low. I live in Cambodia, come visit if you make it to Thailand! Lol.

• Beautiful pictures. Now I want to do some traveling. Thank you for taking the time out to share!!E

• Kirti says:

I can feel your pain, when you want to cover so much in so less time :(
    Your list is great but you can further scrutinize this as Tahiti/Maldives are almost similar w.r.t to water bungalows and beaches .. and Tahiti is insanely expensive I think. so You can choose Maldives over Tahiti else, I think Bali is also a very good option. I have been there, it’s very therapeutic , good vibes kinda place.. not for someone who loves adventure! Let me know if I can help you any further to plan your vacation <3

• NIKI says:

oh thank you for that! I will be bored if i’m only relaxing for 7 days! I want some adventure! A safari or scuba diving or monkey feeding or wash an elephant in a sanctuary! And I appreciate nice food :) Note that I have a sensitive stomach and I would like to avoid food poisoning so places that I run a risk for it should be excluded! LOL

• Kaustubh says:

Hey there…i can clearly see your dilemma in choosing that PERFECT destination.however, i would suggest you sri lanka because excluding the economic factor(pretty cheap) you would also get to explore a whole new culture of the sinhalese people out there. And yea, since it’s an island, trying out some lip-smacking fishes is a mandatory objective fr a tourist.but u can always set your preferences and decide a place which suits you the best.
    I guess w dont need a homing pigeon now lol

• Anna says:

Those are incredible places, no wonder it is difficult to choose. I guess what it has to be done is going to each of these places one at a time ;-). Recently I have my eyes on Sri Lanka, but as a travel blogger, all of those places are on my list.

• Konstantinos says:

If I could, I would like to visit all of them. Haha. But Cuba is one of my dream destinations. Maybe not so much “exotic” as the rest of the ones shown here, but I like the fact that is such a unique country. Sri Lanka seems nice as well, and I would suggest Madagascar too.

• Lisa Krisman says:

Oh wow! So many wonderful choices. I have been to Thailand and would recommend it. I stayed on the island of Koh Samui for 1 month and then another 2 weeks the following year. Gorgeous place, kind spiritual people and good food. I have always wanted to see the Maldives and Bali. So I am partial to saying for you to seriously consider them as well:)

• NIKI says:

Thank you Lisa! Thailand is one of the top 3 after reviewing all of them. Though I think if we go, we’ll do Phuket and Phi-Phi and maybe some other smaller islands around if we have time! Have you ever been to those?

• Kasia says:

OMG all these places sound amazing. I would absolutely love to see Seychelles, Bali and the Maldives (since they’re disappearing) and Bora Bora to add to that list. I’m actually supposed to be saving $$$$ for Bora Bora but so far it’s going slow.

• Brooke says:

I don’t know how you could possibly choose. So many beautiful places. I’d go with Sri Lanka but that’s just me. Can’t fail with any choice.

• Globejamun says:

My god ur list is awesome… I would do Cuba or Tahiti. Truly exotic… the others have been common and loads of ppl do

• Abhinav says:

Account for travel time as well before your final decision, given you usually have 4 odd days.. I think being smart with the choice will help, like Sri Lanka and Maldives can be done together, not much of travel time, but you may have to check flight timing. Similarly, Seychelles and Mauritius can be clubbed. Like many people do Santorini and Mykonos ;). If you decide to go to Thailand, you can again explore a few islands to get more adventure. Kenya and Tanzania is good for safaris. They two best wildlife parks, Serengeti and Masai Mara, It should be fun. Animals there may extinct before islands go down 😉 given the rate the humans are exploding. All the best with your final decision.

• NIKI says:

hahahaa! I can solve that with some pills!

True, I can combine 2 destinations together! You have also added another serious point to think of.. animals :) Thanks!

• Jen says:

I’ve been to Mexico and the food is amazing like you say, and I’m heading to Cuba this September! Other than that can’t speak to many of the other destinations yet but a safari in Kenya looks like a great adventure!

• Tahnee says:

I need a holiday 😭😭😭😭😭 thanks for sharing I’m feeling inspired xx

• i love your blog and always like new things coming up from it.

• Jelena says:

Well, here’s the thing – it’s not just a 100 euro up or down decision…it’s far more than that. The Seychelles, Mauritius, and Mexico can cost you over 2000 euros per person if you’re going from Europe, whereas Thailand and Sri Lanka can be done for less than 1000 per person. I would definitely suggest looking at travel agencies that do adventure trips – there’s a few in Serbia that are really good. It may end up being far cheaper to go with a travel group than to do it on your own with your hubby. Like, if you decide to go with the African safari trip then you can do Kenya, Tanzania, and Zanzibar in one trip (although 17 days long). There are also other truly amazing destinations you can look at which are not as well-known but equally fascinating – Kiribati, Staniel Cays (Exuma Cays), Vietnam, Phillippines…. now I’m just making your decision even harder 😀

• NIKI says:

Thank you for your comment!! All the trips mentioned above are max 7-8 days duration and between 1200-1500 per person! At least from the agencies I have checked.. and they include the hotels, transportation, some tours and in cases some meals. It is hard to find a travel group since our “demands” are very specific for each destination and we want to get it right our very first time. Also, there are 6 more friends/couples/family members that are joining but the agencies in Greece consider “group” to be above 12 people (bummer). I’m dying to visit Vietnam at some point and other alternative and not so touristic exotic destinations BUT I thought it’d be wiser (since it’ll be a first for all of us), to go somewhere “tested” and “approved” by many if you get what I mean. Don’t want any surprises lol! Where have you been so far and which one would you recommend? <3

• Ivona says:

Omigod, please Madagascar! Please please Madagascar! And you can hide me in one of your suitcases…or put me in Kiara’s kettle…! :)

You guys should totally do Zanzibar… he he

• Niki. I usually use Skyscanner or Google Flights to help me decide a destination based on the price of flights for the date I need visually. Then it just comes to experiences. Some times its best to pick a lot out of the 10 places and just go. Travel and exploration is important, more than the process of deciding where to go. Its really not a once in a life time decision. People travel to merge real life into fantasy and its all in the mind. My advice. Pick a place and get going :-). If you want a place nevertherless, I chose Sri Lanka for you.

• Balt says:

You should add Malaysia and Indonesia in your list! 😀

• I was just in Phuket a couple weeks ago for a few days of beach R&R. It was really beautiful! I highly recommend Surin Beach Resort (with Ocean view) – its affordable and very modern. The beach is just below and there isn’t so much foot traffic like Patong Beach so you can relax but its also not remote so you’re not stuck with staying in the resort.
    I’ve been to Bali twice and had different experiences both times since I stayed in different areas (Ubud and Seminyak). I’d recommend checking out Ubud if you’re into temples and yoga.

• Stam says:

i was thinking of all those place and i made my choice for this November! Thailand is the place! Τα λεμε εκει :ρ

• narem says:

You should add India too, here you will find beautiful beaches, historical places, foods n manymore :)