My beautiful country is well known as a favorite summer destination for countless of tourists and also for the world’s finest olive oil. But there are some facts about Greece that you probably never knew and would’ve never guessed.
1) Greece has more archaeological museums than any other country in the world.
This shouldn’t surprise you much, considering the country’s long and rich history and culture.
2) Nearly 80% of Greece is mountainous!
You read this right. Islands and beaches are what everyone runs for, but you might wanna consider a winter visit for skiing in one of our popular ski centers: Arachova, Kalavryta, Mainalo, Kaimaktsalan!
3) Greece has more than 2,000 islands!
If you’ve only heard about Mykonos and Santorini, you might feel a bit uninformed! Out of the 2000, only 170 are inhabited – but still..
4) Greek language is one of the oldest languages in Europe!
It has been spoken for more than 3,000 years!
5) The furthest point from the sea is 137km!
That means you can reach a beach in less than 2 hours no matter where you are in Greece.
6) With 9,000 miles of coastline, Greece lands number 10 in the world!
That’s pretty big for such a small country!
7) Athens is one of the oldest cities in the world!
The Greek capital has been inhabited continuously for more than 7000 years.
8) Greece is the sunniest country in Europe!
With 250 sunny days per year – bring your sunscreen along – it is also one of the sunniest countries in the world. Paradise!
9) Greece has the lowest suicide rate in the EU.
Now that’s a list I’m proud my country landed last at.
10) Greece is the most sexually active nation in the world!!
I didn’t make this up! Multiple surveys conducted by Durex, you know…the condom company (LOL), declared us winners. We have been winning this title for the past decade! Even leaving Brazilians behind!! What can I say, Greek lovers rule!!
11) Greek men are tall. The 8th tallest in the world to be more specific!
Despite the stereotypes that perceive our men to be short, Greeks have an average height above 1,78m (5’10”). We are ahead of the USA and Ireland, just FYI!
How many of those facts did you know? Not even one? Let me know in the comments below! Also, I’m dying to know which one you found hard to believe. They’re all true, I swear. Even number 9!